Monday, October 13, 2008

What an Obama Victory Might Mean

I hate it that so many of my countrymen, especially those with a similar cracker heritage, are still racists. An O'Bama victory in November might well be interpreted as a sign that we have turned the corner as a country on racism. The election of the first mulatto president was something that I thought I would not live to see.

You may well disagree with O'Bama on the issues and reckon, beyond all sense, that McCain is the better candidate, but most of the yokels I have talked to reckon that his blackness is a disqualifier despite McCain's demented agenda.

I dreamed last night that my mother called me to warn me that she had read an e-mail that tied O'Bama to Islamic "bloodlines" with designs on world domination. We had a big fight when I told my mother that this was nonsense, and she wept at my inability to see that O'Bama was EVIL. I was happy when I awoke that no such conversation had taken place (phone logs establish that I did not drunkenly forget the call). Was this connected with the highly fraught political discussion at church? Just as I would hate to think that my fellow parishoners are racist yahoos, so I would hate to think of my mother in that light. Perhaps I equate my church with my family in some way and that I should explore how my ambivalence about church participation relates to my ambivalence about my family.

Perhaps I should get therapy or pastoral counselling. But who has the time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey now, be nice. With that errant apostrophe you're making it out like the man's Irish or something...