Thursday, October 09, 2008

Don't Consume Fructose!

Mrs Vache Folle wants us to avoid high fructose corn syrup, and I figured she was being a tin foil hatter about it until recently. It turns out that fructose doesn't work the same way in our bodies as sucrose or glucose, that it messes with the satiety signals, that it contributes to obesity, that it kills bees that are fed with it, that it kills lab rats who are fed with it, and that children are better off drinking Kool Aid than fruit juice. Who knew?

I'm totally on board with Mrs VF's fructose avoidance policy. Also, we have decided not to eat anything that isn't food. We're going with Pollan's directive to eat real food, mostly plants and not too much. The last part will be a challenge for me, what with my being a glutton and all. As I'm typing this, I'm also eating corned beef hash with two eggs over medium on two slices of oat toast. But I'm proud to state that there's not an iota of fructose in my meal.

I understand that government may be to blame because of price supports for sucrose that make fructose from corn less expensive than sugar from cane and beets. Let's open up the sugar market and see if fructose stays on top. Big Sugar and Big Corn will never let that happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Pollan, but he is wrong on limiting meat consumption. Read Weston Price's amazing studies documented in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration and I think you will agree. It is quite a fascinating and compelling work.