Thursday, May 11, 2006

JL Wilson Nails It, Again

JL Wilson sums up my feelings about Darfur much better than I can:
http://www.partialobserver.com/article.cfm?id=1834

In the process, he calls BS on Christians who are obsessed with sin and intent on ridding the world of it, even if they have to employ sinful means to do so. This is a beef I have with many of my fellow believers. God is gracious; sin should no longer weigh us down. We are called upon to love God and love our neighbor, not to threaten, coerce, kill, imprison, and control our fellow sinners lest they sin.

The whole concept of sin ought, I think, to be jettisoned. To my way of thinking, Jesus released us from our primitive conception of God as cosmic hall monitor. The point is not that humans deserve to be damned or that they can somehow make themselves worthy of salvation. The point is that God is gracious. There is no “deserving” one way or another. That’s a human concept that is not at all applicable to the doings of the Almighty. That we exist at all is an enormous gift of God, and if God grants us more, that is gracious indeed.

No comments: