Monday, May 01, 2006

Bird Blogging

As we had suspected, the ruby throated hummingbird made its appearance early this year on April 29, twelve days earlier than last year. So far we have sighted a single female taking a long draught from the nectar tower. Mrs Vache Folle thinks it was a stopover by a bird on its way further north, but I suspect that it is Christine, one of our summer residents.

Also making its 2006 debut this weekend was the rose breasted grosbeak.

I saw a hawk take what appeared to be a snake from the woods. Later, the hawk was harassed mercilessly and driven off by a gang of crows.

The male goldfinches seem to be engaging in three way dogfights back and forth across the meadow. We have a pretty good stand of thistle that comes in later, control of which will lead to hegemony.

2 comments:

Geo said...

I'm 68 and mostly city bred and born so I'm naive about birds, trees, natural world though I'm hot into the subject of evolutionary psych. and last good read was Dawkin's The Ancestors Tale. Therefore, I was shocked a few months back to watch a crow holding a sparrow in his claw while pecking it to death. When I approached to save the sparrow, the crow flew away with it, and when I approached again, he finally took the sparrow over a fence and too far for me to help. It was an ugle sight. Looked like a pleasure killing to me.

Vache Folle said...

Geo-

Crows eat carrion all the time, so I would not be surprised to learn that they have a taste for meat that is not quite dead yet. I have seen crows chase and harass owls and other birds of prey on numerous occasions. I don't know if they derive pleasure from the practice, but it sure seems like it.