Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Carbon Offsets for Sale

The guy at Max Speak doesn’t care much for carbon offsets: http://maxspeak.org/mt/archives/002246.html

But this outfit that sells offsets thinks they’re great: http://www.climatecare.org/

The idea is simple enough. I can help fund projects that reduce other people’s carbon footprints in order to offset my own. I would feel a lot better about tooling around in my SUV if I knew that some peasants in Africa weren’t wasting so much firewood because I helped buy them efficient propane stoves.

Better yet, I reckon I could sell offsets. If enough people send me money, I can quit my job and stay home and use the car a lot less. Also, I can cut down on other uses of energy and raise my own vegetables and such what with all the free time I would have.

1 comment:

Doc said...

Hi Vache - this is something i know about. Dr. Lenny is affiliated with a company that markets Empress trees for carbon credit. The website is at http://www.wonderearthpartners.com/

The market is through CCX - the Chicago Climate Exchange. However - it is not real until we get a check for selling sequestered carbon. We have a baseline of about 200,000 metric tons and an asking price of $5/ton. A five year accumulation produced 10% growth.

Two weeks ago a buyer surfaced at an offer of $3.50/ton. When it really happens - i'll let you know. But realize that we bloggers get around - you have to be real sharp to beat a blogger to an opportunity to make money without leaving his computer.