Monday, September 08, 2008

Sorry, Jury Slaves

I'm in my hotel room in LA waiting for room service again after a long day in a trial where I had nothing whatsoever to do except be present as the avatar of the corporation I used to work for. Nice work if you can get it. A jury was selected today in the usual way. I was tempted to throw in my two cents about prospective jurors but held my tongue. It's not my call, and the whole selection process is done from the scrotum (or female equivalent) in any event. I thought too many smart people were left on the jury for my taste, but then again the pool was unusually rich with educated and creative types.

Anyway, thirteen involuntary servants were interjected into a dispute among corporate entities about which they have no reason to give a rat's ass. And the judge had the temerity to tell the ones who were lucky enough to get away that they were unfortunate not to get to perform the wondrous duty of deciding some total strangers' contractual dispute. The injustice of it appalls me that these folks were ordered under pain of arrest to show up for this and then told how lucky they are!

No comments: