Thursday, March 27, 2008

Transcendent Threat, My Ass

I heard a news story on the radio about the demented J Sidney McCain and a big foreign policy speech he recently gave. In a snippet, he declared that anyone who didn't acknowledge that Islamic terror or extremism or some such thing was a "transcendent threat" was not worthy to be president. "Transcendent"? Really? If he means that the threat is worse than any other threat, he's insane. Russia still has a crapload of nukes, and they still don't like us. Other countries have nukes as well. I reckon that nuke wielding nation states are a way more important threat to America than Islamic extremists.

When I think about threats, I like to bring things down to a personal level. What is the biggest threat that I face? It's not Islamic extremists, that's for sure. I am more threatened by wankers like J Sidney McCain who use the concept of Islamic extremism to turn my fellow Americans into bedwetters who, in a moment of fear induced stupidity, might vote for GOP candidates or who will otherwise acquiesce in increasing government power. As between Osama bin Laden and J Sidney McCain, I regard the latter as the bigger threat.

When I ponder threats, I also like to consider the capabilities of them that threaten me. Sure, some nutjob in a cave in Pakistan might sincerely wish me harm, but if he doesn't have the means to fulfill his wishes I am not going to worry over much about him. Russia has the means to kill me and everyone for a hundred miles around me, but for the moment doesn't seem to want to do it. I reckon making sure that Russia doesn't change its mind is way more important than worrying about the impotent nutjob in the cave.

No comments: