Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Bring Back the Guillotine

I sometimes have apocalyptic fantasies. You know the ones where the evildoers and the arrogant get their comeuppance? Where the downtrodden are lifted up and justice is meted out at long last? Sometimes I catch myself thinking that way about the election. If the Democrats take over in a big way in 2008, surely there will be many hearings and investigations and much wailing and gnashing of teeth by GOPers, neocons and the contractors in the government trough.

Then I remember that I'm talking about the Democrats, the spineless ones, they who cave on everything. First off, there are going to be pardons aplenty before the changing of the guard. It's going to be all pardons all the time for the last few weeks. Then the Democrats won't have the stomach for the oversight work. Their political advisors will tell them that the public will be turned off by investigations and hearings.

I don't think they will if the Democrats play it right. The key is to bring back the guillotine. That will make the hearings interesting.

1 comment:

jdgalt said...

We've already brought back just about the whole French Reign of Terror. About all that's missing is the Law of 22 Prairial, and I'm sure that's coming in the next version of the "Protect America Act".

When are all the Americans who still believe in freedom going to grow spines?