Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I Am Depressed

I've been sick now for going on nine days. First it was the worst flu ever which sort of got better on Sunday, but then it morphed into bronchitis. I keep hacking up blobs of phlegm, and my sides are sore from coughing. Any exertion leads to a coughing jag which in turn leads to light headedness.

Thanks to my being puny, I am very depressed. I take no joy in anything. I can't work out. My appetite isn't good (except for cheesecake). Nothing is much fun. My outlook is very bad. I'll never find a new job. My wife is probably planning to leave me what with my sucking as a husband. My dog aims to kill me in my sleep.

On top of everything, my carpool companion is off his meds and super depressed as well. He's obsessed with the existential meaninglessness of life and the prospect of oblivion after death. I keep telling him about the resurrection but he won't accept this as any comfort without some rational basis. Sucks for him. For me, the prospect of oblivion isn't nearly as daunting as some of the alternatives: hell, being a ghost in chains, endless reincarnation.

Anyway, I need a major pick me up. I'm hoping for antibiotics and more codeine tomorrow when I see the doc again. Maybe alcohol would help.

1 comment:

Steve Scott said...

Oh, man, sounds bad. Maybe listen to some Twisted Sister. But then laughing might hurt your sides.