Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Political Obsevations

How much do I care that my governor paid for sex? Not a bit. I care a lot more that federal tax dollars are being wasted on a mindless investigation and prosecution of some pretty straightforward, consensual commerce. I am sad that my governor didn't come out swinging. "I paid for sex! What of it? The feds can blow it out their ass!"

I can't believe the presidential campaign is about "experience". The three surviving presidential candidates' resumes don't exactly contain a whole lot of relevant experience. Then again, no candidate really ever has any relevant experience unless he or she is the incumbent. Perhaps former leaders of other countries could be recruited as president.

Senator McCain's resume highlights include being a bad pilot, a prisoner of war, and a Congressional douche. What is it about any of this experience that makes him fit for the presidency? None of it. In terms of temperament and judgment, he is clearly the least fit of the three candiadtes. On the war, he's crazy and/or evil. He's not as smart as the others.

Senator Clinton at least had a stint in a real job as a private lawyer, and she was married to a president. Then she was a Senator. She doesn't seem apt to fly off the handle, but she really pissed me off with the blank check she gave GW Bush on Iraq and her crazy vote on Iran. She'd have the benefit of her husband's advice for what it would be worth, but otherwise nothing about her background makes her particularly presidential. She is very smart, though, and I like that she makes wingnuts apoplectic.

Senator Obama has had a career in service to his community as a community organizer and then as a lawyer and legislator. There's nothing in his resume that marks him out as an executive. On the other hand, I don't see any reason to think he wouldn't do just fine, and he hasn't pissed me off yet. I like his wife the best of the spouses. If you don't vote for me, you might as well vote for Obama. That's as strong an endorsement as you'll get from me.

Lincoln had very little experience. So did Kennedy. Hell, none of the previous presidents had a clue. So you should vote for the one you like the most or dislike the least. You're going to be stuck with the bastard on the TV for years.

No comments: