Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ten Trivial Things About Me

I voted for a Republican once for president. That was in 1988. Never again.

I was a sharpshooter in the Army with an M16. Impressed? Don't be. That's the second best rating you can get, just above marksman. And it was a clerical error. I did score perfectly in the hand grenade test, and I wore the badge of an expert grenadier.

I smoked Camels most of the time except when I was feeling Bohemian. Then I smoked Balkan Sobranies. I quit over 8 years ago, but I still smoke in my dreams.

I used to live near Scientology HQ in Clearwater, FL. I thought the Scientologists were naval personnel for more than six months. To learn more about them, I read Battlefield Earth.

I am afraid of sharks and giant squid. I don't think about them much when I'm not scuba diving or snorkeling, though.

I like whiskey, but I can't afford the good stuff. Famous Grouse is my favorite bad Scotch. Evan Williams is my favorite bad Bourbon.

A couple of my neighbors are NASCAR fans, and they fly Confederate Battle Flags on race days. I live in New York.

I have lived in New York, Washington, Florida, Maryland, DC, West Virginia, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio and Alabama. I have visited every state except New Mexico and Oklahoma.

I practiced philately as a child, and my grandmother helped me get started.

If you count all my steps and halves, I have nine siblings. Two of them are named Becky. I have never met one of them. Two of them are dead.


No comments: