Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Media Clowns Love McCain and Obama

In the last few weeks I have broken my mainstream media fast a little bit to watch some of the coverage of the primary season. I was curious about how the TV media was treating the candidates. I don't have a dog in the fight, so I reckon I was pretty objective in my observations, and I came away with the distinct impression that the media clowns mostly love Barack Obama and John McCain. They had no use for the other GOP candidates, and they are not that keen on the prospect of a Clinton nomination. They seem to think Obama would be a sexier story.

The media clowns appear to have bought into the McCain as "Maverick" meme. I'm not surprised, since they bought into the "straight talker" meme simply because he wrote it on the side of his bus. I even heard one talking head describe McCain as the "antithesis of GW Bush". He said this with a straight face, and the other talking heads nodded knowingly. I suppose McCain is the antithesis to Bush in some ways, just not politically. He's been running as the continuation of Bush, and the neocon devils have been rallying to his banner. Matt Taibbi remarked on Bill Maher that the media would salute anything that anyone ran up the flagpole, and I get the impression that he was absolutely right.

As for Clinton and Obama, the media have been fixated on the narrative of establishment versus outsider with Obama cast as the Second Coming of JFK and RFK wrapped in one ethnic minority package. Obama's come from behind victories have enchanted the heads. They are in love with him. I have even heard the idea bandied about that some conservatives actually like Obama. They're never going to vote for him but they like the points that they get for saying that they like a Negro, especially one that is not so scary to them.

There are no significant idelogical differences between Obama and Clinton if the media clowns are to be believed, so the race is purely a popularity contest, something the media clowns can get behind in a big way. The best coverage team is probably working for E!, and they should be seconded to the newsroom for the duration.

I have also heard a lot of conservative pundits/analysts/mouthpieces spouting off about how the GOP is eager to run against Clinton and how they really don't want to have to face Obama. Translation: they are scared of Clinton.

No comments: