Friday, February 22, 2008

Squirrels Ate My Feeders

The squirrels have been destroying my bird feeders, the ones that are towers with multiple outlets. They gnaw on the lowermost openings until the valves come out so that all the seeds run out onto the ground. This makes them useless. This is a new behavior for them. In former times, the squirrels were content to accept the seeds in the small servings that the feeders were designed to dispense. The feeder that looks like a little house has not been damaged, presumably because it doles out the seeds in ample servings. I aim to get more of that type.

A lot of the feeders at the store are supposed to be squirrel resistant. I don't want to deprive the squirrels of food, though. I like squirrels. I just don't want them to destroy my property. Jasper derives a lot of enjoyment from the squirrels, and he will run 100 yards to drive one out of the back yard. He keeps an eye on the woodpecker feeder out back and menaces any rodents that trespass on it. He sometimes barks at the squirrels on the feeder through the picture window, but they heed him not, except for the occasional rookie squirrel who has not yet learned that the dogs don't have access to the feeders.

The feeder area has been attracting one of the feral cats and a hawk. The hawk snagged a blue jay and killed him right before our eyes the other week. It is still very rare for the cat or the hawk to get one of the birds that are feeding, and the birds benefit from regular feedings. The populations of songbirds are dwindling, and feeders may help to bolster their numbers and increase their ranges.

The most faithful birds at our feeders are the chickadees. They are also the boldest, sometimes staying on the feeder while I refill it. They also yell at me if I am late with the seeds.

No comments: