Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Choir

The choir plans to perform Rutter's "Requiem" for Good Friday. There are seven beautiful movements, and these have the characteristic Rutter quirks that trip me up. I got no rhythm.

I have been playing a CD of the work and following along with the score to get a leg up on it. I am liable to be the only tenor, and if other tenors show up, they will not have had much practice, so I will have to carry the section. I aim to have the whole thing down by the end of next week so I can help the other tenors who are more sporadic in their attendance of rehearsals. It is fortunate that there aren't many places where tenors stand out. These movements are really meant to let the ladies shine, and there are a couple of interesting soprano solos. I have been practicing these solos an octave down in case one of the sopranos gets kneecapped or something. Nobody asked me to, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to be ready.

If we could get one more tenor, it would make a big difference to the choir. It's a pretty big commitment for the men since you have to show up every week faithfully. The ladies can come and go because there are lots of them, but men are sorely missed when absent.

No comments: