Tuesday, March 03, 2009

This and That

I was wrong in my wishful prediction that some anomalous early appearances by some species of birds presaged an early spring. Way wrong. There's nigh on a foot of snow on the ground, and it's in the single digits in temperature.

On the plus side of the ledger, I have been eating my grass fed, free range meat from Fleischer's and enjoying it more than I can describe. The pork tastes like pork tasted when I was a kid on the farm. The beef is flavorful and rich. The chicken tastes delicious. I haven't tried the lamb yet, but I have high hopes based on experience so far. After eating the pork chops we prepared last Friday, I almost wept for joy.

Mrs Vache Folle found an interesting recipe for pesto in a magazine, and we tried it Sunday. Instead of basil and pine nuts, you use baby spinach and walnuts. It's worth a try.

I've been seeing lots of turkey vultures lately, perhaps drawn to the thawing casualties of winter. Also, red tailed hawks occasionally appear in the tree line along the back meadow. Some critter has been stealing the woodpecker cakes as fast as we can put them out. I suspect a coon.

Speaking of woodpeckers, we have had three species (downy, hairy, red bellied) so far. I have yet to tempt a pileated woodpecker to our place, although I have seen one just south of here.

No comments: