Tuesday, March 31, 2009

May the Rescue Plan Succeed

Which is more to be feared? Bankers who own the government, or a government that owns banks? I have heard it argued that bankers ought to own banks since they are motivated by and regulated by profit, but this does not seem to have been the case for some time now.

Am I less free now that the government has stepped in to rescue the economy? I think not. Whatever freedom I enjoy has always been at the sufferance of the sovereign. Whatever it is convenient at the moment for the sovereign to regulate, it regulates. If it is inconvenient to the sovereign or a matter of indifference to it, I am "free" to act and think and speak in the fields the sovereign ignores. For the moment.

If the economy is "rescued", I will be better off than if it is allowed or caused to descend completely into the shitter. I am inclined to hope for success for the rescue plan. Its failure may see me living under a bridge.

No comments: