Friday, April 24, 2009

Religulous

I rented Bill Maher's "Religulous" in which he pokes fun at religious people. It was painful, but still funny, for me to watch many of my co-religionists make complete asses of themselves. Every damned one of them (except for a senior priest at the Vatican) fell into the trap of arguing that their religous beliefs have been "proven" to be true. Even the smart guy from the human genome project went off on how the New Testament is clearly a historical document, blah blah quack woof. Wrong answer! Bill Maher will eat you alive!

The only right answer is something along the lines of: "I came to believe in [insert religious belief here], and my conviction in the truth of it has been sustained through my own experience. I don't claim that this conviction is rational. Rather, it is a matter of faith and conscience. And, by the way, I don't actually believe in a literal talking snake."

No comments: