Monday, January 14, 2008

Save the Music, or I'll Kill You

I had a conversation with one of my co-religionists and fellow choristers about the "Save the Music" campaign. She reckoned that musical education was very important and beneficial and that it was unfortunate that budgetary restraints had caused some school districts to cut back on music and the arts. I agreed with her. We disagreed a great deal on what to do about the situation. She believed that the best solution was the provision of federal funds to local school districts for music programs. I felt that individuals who cared strongly about the issue could get together and donate money to school districts or, even better, directly to students to enable them to get musical instruction.

She was adamant that my solution was unrealistic. She didn't think enough people would give enough money or that the money would be directed to the right places unless the feds controlled it. Also, she didn't think it would be fair for some people to get away with paying nothing at all if they didn't support the program. All I could do was gape at her in disbelief and ask her if she were having a laugh. For her, the solution of first resort, indeed the only "realistic" solution, for bringing about a desired result was for federal goons to take money by force from her fellow subjects and distribute it to other levels of government. Did I mention that she is a staunch Republican? She probably wouldn't go as far as to mug her neighbor and give the money to a poor kid for piano lessons, but she is promoting the moral equivalent of that action. Yet there seems to be no way for me to make her see things my way.

1 comment:

Opra said...

I think that musical education is rather important. People should be well-informed in different spheres:)