Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Happy "39th" Birthday to Me

Today is my “39th birthday”. It is hard having a birthday so close to Groundhog Day. Everybody wants to put a candle on one side of the Groundhog Cake and call it your birthday cake. You get a Groundhog/birthday gift. The birthday is just an afterthought, which is understandable what with all the hurly burly of Groundhog Day preparations and taking down the decorations afterwards.

Birthdays don’t mean much nowadays. It used to be that you could look forward to some changes in your life. At 16, I could drive. At 18, I could drink and drive. At 21, I could drink hard liquor in every state. At 25, I could rent a car and get reasonable auto insurance. At 30, I could qualify for the Senate. At 35, I could be President. It gets crappier and crappier. What are the next milestones? Eligibility for AARP, more frequent colonoscopies, senior citizen discounts at movies, free admission to National Parks, eligibility for social security, recognition by Willard Scott. Wheeee!

No comments: