Thursday, October 06, 2005

Favorite Movies Ever

I was talking today with one of my conspecifics, a real movie buff, about favorite movies. We agreed that our favorites were not necessarily the best movies but that there were some films that we could watch over and over again and that we try to catch whenever they turn up on the tube. I can think of several that fall into this category for me (in no particular order), but I can't even begin to tell you why I am so drawn to them:

1. A Face in the Crowd: Andy Griffith portrays a drifter that becomes a beloved media personality. In the end, he is exposed as something of a sociopath. This film was way ahead of its time in treating the power of the media and its abuses.


2. The Best Years of Our Lives: This film, Best Picture in 1946, follows several WW2 veterans as they attempt to reintegrate into civilian life. The process is not easy for them.

3. Dr Strangelove: "I never said we wouldn't get our hair mussed."

4. Starship Troopers: Loosely based on the Heinlein classic, the film depicts a future when humanity in a militaristic state is at war with aliens.


5. Goodfellas: Best mobster movie ever.

6. Persuasion: Mrs VF is Pride & Prejudice all the way, but for my money this flick is the ultimate Jane Austen fix.
7. Outlaw Josie Wales: Classic Clint Eastwood.

8. The Day the Earth Stood Still: Klaatu barada nikto!



9. Seven Days in May: Burt Lancaster plots a military coup in the USA. I would probably root for the plotters these days.

10. Strictly Ballroom: An Australian gem of a comedy about competitive dancers.

There does not seem to be a pattern that I can discern, and I just can't say what it is about these movies that appeals to me. Perhaps the list reveals some deep psychological truth to which I have no access.

5 comments:

Wally Conger said...

Strictly Ballroom rocks! Very, very funny movie, and quite charming.

And I thought I was the only person who liked Starship Troopers. It's on so many "10 Worst Sci-Fi" lists.

Vache Folle said...

Starship Troopers was great. I can never figure out if the humans are on the right side in the war, and I originally expected some kind of plot twist that dealt with this. The movie is way more effective just letting you have the propaganda and leaving you wondering.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and Wally about Strictly Ballroom. It is one of my favorites.

I like Starship Troopers also, though not as much. I rate Heinlein very high, but prefer The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and look forward to Tim Minear's script.

I like the other movies in your list too, some more than others, but they're good picks.

Tim Swanson said...

Eh, Dr. Strangelove should be #1... though I haven't seen the other 2.

I'm also back online. Go me.

Vache Folle said...

It's good to have you back, Tim.