Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jersey Boys, the Future of Broadway

My company went on an outing to Broadway and caught “Jersey Boys”, a musical biography of the Four Seasons. It was very entertaining and reminded me of those biographical movies that were made by the score back in the 40s. The performers were spot on and sounded just like the band. It was a good choice for the company because even the old guys enjoyed it. Did you know that Joe Pesci was a friend of the guys in the band?

I thought the structure of the play would make a good template for pumping out Broadway musicals about famous bands and singers. The Beach Boys, Elvis, Bruce Springsteen would all make good subjects. Sir Elton John’s life story in music would be great. I’d stand in line for a show with the music of Queen.

Shows like “Mama Mia” built around Abba songs and “Movin’ Out” built around Billy Joel songs looked as if they had hit on a winning template, but I reckon that the idiotic story just gets in the way of the music. Also, the fit between the story and the songs is tenuous at best. This is not a problem with the band bio template. I look forward to a string of band bio boffo Broadway productions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hell, I'd watch one on Parliament-Funkadelic just to see how close they got to pulling it off, and I hate musical plays.