Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Try Some Curry

Some of us at the office are going out for Indian food today for lunch, and I can’t think about much else. There’s a pretty good place with an eat all you can lunch buffet just down the road in Elmsford. I prefer the buffet to ordering from a menu because I am just not knowledgeable enough to pick what I like without seeing it. I am partial to chicken vindaloo, and I love curry and lager as much as Lister from Red Dwarf http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/ . I also love the vegetable dishes, especially the creamed spinach dish the name of which I cannot recall.

Some years ago, Mrs Vache Folle ordered a set of curries from Penzeys http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html, and she has been cooking with them ever since. Various curries, Vindaloo, Rogan Josh, Maharajah, and sweet curry are staples in our kitchen, and we now order them in bulk. Mrs VF makes a mean curry dish with a variety of ingredients, including lamb, chicken, shrimp, and okra. She has taken to spicing up non-Indian dishes with curries now and then and uses them to make rubs and marinades for roasts and grilled meats. Mrs VF is a helluva cook, and I am honored to serve as her sous chef in charge of chopping and peeling stuff.

There are lots of curries to try out, and I recommend adding them to your spice rack.

1 comment:

Steve Scott said...

I love curry in general and am particularly fond of Inidan food. With such a large Indian population in the Bay Area, there is no shortage of good Indian restaurants. A few years ago an Indian couple in my church got married and the reception was catered by an Indian restaurant. Best wedding meal I've ever had, by far. I also have a thing for Thai curry.

Way back when I was single, I learned to cook some Indian dishes at home and had some great time both cooking and eating. Buying the exotic spices from somewhere other than the supermarket also added to the experience.

You've found one of the joys in life that relatively few 'Murricans know about.