Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My Pit Bull May Have OCD


Jasper is seriously obsessed with frog hunting now. First thing in the morning, he runs to the pond and starts rousting frogs. He does this for an hour and a half straight until I drag him away to take a walk with Jesse down the road. As soon as we get back, he makes a beeline for the pond, and I have to drag him inside when I leave for work. Come evening, he’s right back at it, and if we don’t interrupt him, he will hunt frogs until we drag him in at night. Walks, car rides, kong chasing, monkey in the middle, food all come after frog hunting in Jasper’s hierarchy of priorities now. That boy ain’t right.

I’m not ready to diagnose him as having OCD, but if this keeps up I’m going to have Mrs Vache Folle take him to the animal behaviorist. We had good results last time we consulted him about Jesse’s anger management issues.

Our friend in Yonkers consulted an animal “communicator” when her rescue dog became distracted by deer during training sessions. According to the communicator, the dog wanted his owner to know that she failed to recognize that there were lots of deer that he did not chase, that he chased only a small percentage of deer. What might Jasper tell the communicator? “I like frogs! Frogs are great! I’m gonna get me a frog! Boy Howdy!”

The thing is he never catches a frog. They always get away. Yet he never tires of the chase. I get exhausted just watching him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that photo - very expressive!

So that's what folks in your neck of the woods call a 'pond'. I'd have mistaken that for a swamp or a bog! Then again - in my locale we don't see much standing water - unless one counts all the 'cement ponds' in Phoenix, Tucson, or Las Vegas!

Wildlife on my property has to make do with a couple buried 10 gallon buckets that I have to fill by hand. The only organism that's managed to take hold in them is a bit of moss - no snakes, frogs, or fish. (sigh)

Vache Folle said...

vaughn, the phote predates dredging. It was a swamp at the time.