Friday, December 09, 2005

Snow Day

It's a good thing I took the day off, because Stormville is living up to its name today. The snow on the deck is 6 inches deep already, and it is snowing so heavily that I can barely see the back of the yard some 200 feet away. Birds are struggling to fly from feeder to feeder (I am keeping these stocked today). Mrs Vache Folle went is on her way to work and has her office Chrismahannakwanzika party this evening, but she reports she made it to the train OK despite conditions and the many cars in the ditches. SUV drivers seem to feel that their 4 wheel drive somehow overrides the laws of physics.

I don't know if Madame will make it home or stay in the city, but I am confident that her judgement on the matter will be sound.

Meanwhile, no plows have come by except Jerry, the guy we contracted with to plow our driveway. I reckon he'll have to do it at least twice for this storm-- kaching!

I was hoping for a mild winter, but we have had three snows already. The last two winters have been all snow all the time, and the charm is starting to wear off. Growing up in Georgia, I found snow a very rare treat. As an habitual truant, I prayed for snow and days off from school but rarely got to enjoy any snow days. We had ice storms, but it's not very fun to play in the ice and dodge the falling branches and power lines. In my whole childhood in Georgia, we had one really good snow, and that was over the holiday break in second grade. We also lost power for over a week, so it was quite an adventure.

When will we be able to realize the dividends from global warming? Or have we already started in on the ice age?

No comments: