Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas Was Merry

The Christmas weekend was wonderful. Mrs Vache Folle made a leg o’ lamb on Saturday with a fantastic dry rub of garlic and coriander. This was her first ever leg o’ lamb, and it was perfect, thanks in no small part to a cookbook entitled “How to Cook Anything”. On Sunday, Mrs Vache Folle cooked a duckling, first by steaming then by roasting, turning and basting every quarter hour. A honey and wine glaze topped it off, and it was the best duck ever. The steaming helps drain off a lot of the excess fat.

Christmas Eve, I sang in two services at church, 7:30 and 11:00. They seem to have been effective, but it is hard to tell from the choir since we are busy with our part in the services.

Among the gifts I received were DVDs of the Horatio Hornblower series and the film Serenity (which I watched immediately). I also got a book “Captain Aubrey Commands”, a companion to the Patrick O’Brian series that I plan to reread this coming year. The CDs I got featured Ralph Stanley and Bruce Springsteen, reflecting my eclectic tastes. Mrs Vache Folle got a Jerry Douglas CD, as she is a big fan of the dobro, and I enjoyed it as much as she did.

Christmas and Boxing Day were both pretty soggy, and we mainly nested, ate, played with the dogs and took lots of naps. All in all, it was a joyous Christmas.

1 comment:

Wally Conger said...

Your Christmas sounds like it was FANTASTIC! We were also delighted to receive both the Serenity and Hornblower DVDs as gifts. Horatio rocks!