Wednesday, December 28, 2005

More Free Advice for Parents: Get to Know Your Neighbors

A lot of parents these days are convinced that there is a child molestor behind every shrub and that their children will be kidnapped if allowed to play unsupervised out of doors. So their kids have to stay inside or be subjected to constant surveillance outside such that outside play opportunities are limited by parental availability. When I was a wee lbairn, I was able to roam for a considerable distance and to play all over the neighborhood without my parents' watching me as long as I showed up for meals. I knew not to get in a car with some weirdo or to talk to strangers or to play with blasting caps or in an old refrigerator, etc. Also, many families had back up children (aka younger siblings) in case anything happened to the main child.

What made this situation feasible in substantial part was that the neighbors knew all the kids and kept a loose watch on them. If I misbehaved, it would get back to my folks. If I was in danger, it was probable that some adult I knew would intervene.

I suggest that parents introduce themselves and their children to their neighbors and let their kids roam about a little. This helps them become more independent and gives parents a break from constant surveillance. Teach them about roads and the dangers of traffic and other hazards they might encounter. Teach them their address and phone number and let them learn their way around the area on foot. Otherwise, you're raising helpless idiots.

2 comments:

Steve Scott said...

We've got a 4 yr old and an 11 mo. old and I really feel the difference from when I was a boy. I'm glad to hear somebody who is not a parent talk about these things. Imagine allowing helpless idiots the right to vote.

Vache Folle said...

Steve,

When I was 4 we lived in Cleveland, OH in a dense neighborhood. I was permitted to roam at will as long as a I did not leave our city block. I knew every adult in the neighborhood.

You were not allowed to go to kindergarten if you could not walk to school unaccompanied (you were deemed too stupid for the program otherwise), and I walked 8 blocks to and fro each school day.

My mom and I went into the local tavern one day to use the pay phone, and she was quite surprised when all the regulars greeted me by name. I had taken to stopping in to chat from time to time and knew all the guys at the bar.

Nowadays, even if you want to raise free range children, some busybody will report you to social services!