Friday, December 02, 2005

Beware of black squirrels!

This report http://www.allspinzone.com/blog/?itemid=1769 is disturbing. I was informed once at a party by someone I figured was crazy that black squirrels were carnivores. Now it appears that they attack en masse, at least in Russia.

I have lived around black squirrels for years in DC and New York and never observed any behavior that differed from the gray variety. I don't know how to account for my failure to see the real danger that the black squirrels posed. I shudder to think of all the times I walked by black squirrels with my dogs completely unaware that I was being stalked.

2 comments:

freeman said...

How odd! Maybe it's just the ones in Russia.

There are plenty of black, grey and fox squirrels (the brown ones) where I live, and I've never noticed any differences in behavior. My mom used to feed them, attracting dozens to my parents' yard, and there were never any problems like that.

Vache Folle said...

It's shocking to think that your parents endangered themselves in such a manner. Did they feed them to attract them or as an offering to keep them from attacking? Did they feed them meat?