Friday, November 04, 2005

Off to California

I'll be in California on business all next week and will not be posting to this blog. As Elizabeth Bennett might put it, I am certain that my imaginary readers will do their best to bear the deprivation.

I reckon I won't get to vote in local elections next Tuesday. It's just as well since the candidates are indistinguishable from one another, and I don't get the significance of the various referenda items. The only electioneering activity I have seen are a few yard signs and a leaflet attached to the flag on my mailbox. The leaflet, unlawfully affixed to my official mail receptacle, declares that "The men and women of the highway department urge" me to re-elect Dennis Miller as superintendent. The leaflet goes on to describe Miller as a "Conservative Republican". (I was disappointed that it isn't the ranting comedian. He would make a better local political hack than a TV personality if his recent performances are any indication.)

What might it mean for one's highway department superintendent to be a Conservative Republican as opposed to some other political affiliation? What message is this man trying to send by identifying himself in this way? I don't get why this is even an elective office. It just means that the department is going to be all about patronage and politics rather than efficient road repair and snow removal.

No comments: