Thursday, November 17, 2005

Libertarian Solutions to Social Problems

I enjoy Kevin Carson’s posts on what he calls “Vulgar Libertarianism”. The latest http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/11/vulgar-libertarianism-watch-part-xiii.html
deals with claims that folks naturally prefer to work as wage earners over working on their own farms. Fewer small farms are proxy for “progress”. In my own experience, I’m pretty sure my family would have been content to farm if circumstances beyond their control hadn’t rendered small family farms unprofitable. Instead of being their own bosses and spending lots of time with their families, they had to work for others in textile mills and leave their families behind for 40 plus hours a week. Some progress.

One of the objections to libertarianism that I sometimes encounter is that libertarians seem to some to be “selfish, greedy b***t**ds” who care only about themselves. This is certainly so of some, I am sure, but I reckon that most libertarians care a great deal about their fellow human beings. We believe that folks will be happier if they are free. We believe, by and large, that folks are capable of governing themselves and that they are creative and productive when left to their own devices. We also have profoundly held moral values, the most important of which are commitment to peace and distaste for coercion.

It is sometimes difficult to convey to statists that when I am arguing against some governmental action or role or power I am not condoning the problem that government is being used to address. For example, if I am against repressive drug laws, it does not mean that I condone drug abuse. And if I defend the right of folks to make alternative family arrangements and engage in alternative lifestyles, I don’t necessarily approve of what every person might choose to do with his freedom. I may find their choices imprudent or immoral. If I oppose forced taxation for government schools, it does not follow that I am anti-education.

I have a tendency toward minding my own business when it comes to how other people are living their lives, and I suspect that most libertarians share this attribute. There are, however, quite a few things about which I care deeply and about which I do not hesitate to offer an opinion and to act. In such cases, I will attempt to persuade others to adopt my point of view, and I may use my power as a consumer to reward or discourage attitudes or behaviors I don’t like. I will work to solve problems in my community in peaceful ways. (Sadly, I am describing the kind of person I wish I were more than the person I really am in practice).

It is sometimes not enough for libertarians to declare that “government is not the solution” and throw up their hands in despair about the underlying “problem”. Libertarians have a lot to offer in terms of alternative non-coercive solutions to social problems, and our program would probably benefit from our doing more to address issues and offer non-governmental solutions.

No comments: