Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Bird Flu

Last night, the teaser for the 10 pm news went like this:

Female anchor: "Worried about the bird flu?"

Mrs Vache Folle to the TV: "Not particularly."

Male anchor: "President Bush has a plan."

Mrs VF to me: "Now I'm worried."

It looks as if the "plan" is to throw $7 billion plus at Big Pharma and get their liability for killing or injuring consumers of their vaccines reduced or eliminated.

Also, Bush stated that each of us must take "personal responsibility" and try not to get the flu. Thanks for the advice, but I was certainly not counting on him to do anything to help with a flu pandemic. If anything, Bush would probably exacerbate the problem. Everything he touches is a disaster.

I was going to try extra hard to dodge the viri this flu season in any event. Having COPD means that I am especially vulnerable and would be laid up for weeks. My main strategy is to stay away from children, because they get exposed to everything in the schools. I am sending gifts by UPS to the nephews this year and avoiding them like the disease vectors they are until the coast is clear.

No comments: