Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Deer Season

Deer season started last weekend. I don't hunt because I don't like to get up early and hang out in the cold in a forest full of armed drunks. Moreover, the whole thing smacks of effort, and I have never taken any pleasure in killing animals. I don't care if other people hunt as long as they don't do it near my house and as long as they stay off my property.

In West Virginia, I worked on some cases of "negligent shooting". It seems that accidentally killing your hunting companion in the woods is a petty offense punishable by a $25 fine. Never go hunting in West Virginia with anyone who has a bone to pick with you. "Let's bury the hatchet, Cletis. Tell you what, I'll take you deer huntin'."

In Maine about 15 years ago, I recall hearing about a case where a hunter shot a woman to death in her backyard. He claimed that he thought she was a deer, and he was deemed innocent of any crime. I think a standard of strict liability ought to apply. If you are hunting near a residence or a road, you should have to make sure that you are shooting at a deer and not a person or anyone's livestock.

I will kill anyone who shoots at or too near my house, my person, or my dogs.

No comments: