Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Bye, Morning Sedition

In the next few weeks my morning drive time radio listening will come available. Air America Radio, for reasons that are incomprehensible to me, is canceling Morning Sedition with Mark and Marc. That’s right, the best thing on radio today is going off the air even though the creative team is perfectly willing to continue. Most of Air America Radio is annoying rants by the on air personalities and a few interviews and phone calls from listeners, but Morning Sedition was a variety show with regular skits and features, radio theatre, shows from remote locations, and interesting guests, not always political. The show can be pants pissing funny and is always good for a few laughs while being informative at the same time.

I am going to miss the many regular characters who appeared on the show, especially Lawton Smalls, the correspondence from Planet Bush. “God loves you. Deal with it.” I will miss Sammy the Stem Cell. “I’m sacred life; I did your wife.” I love the segments “The War on Brains” and the one where the team makes fun of celebrities who recently died. Any such that features James Wolcott on multiple occasions is all right by me.

Alas, my long commute will no longer be entertaining and educational, and I don’t know where to turn. Back to NPR? Too mainstream for my tastes. Converse with my car pool conspecific? He’s the IT guy in the office, for crying out loud. What would we talk about? CDs?

Maybe Marc and Mark and the team will find a home elsewhere and keep up the good work.

2 comments:

bkmarcus said...

VF - No iPod?

Vache Folle said...

Alas no. I won't have one of these until they are obsolete.