Monday, February 23, 2009

Women's Work

In an interesting post at Shakesville about unpaid carework by young women http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2009/02/unfair-burdens.html Shaker M points out that women's carework often involves difficult to quantify services like remembering birthdays and such like. Mrs Vache Folle is in charge of this in our household, and I suppose I should appreciate it. But. to be honest, I just don't care enough about birthdays to keep track of them. If Mrs VF stopped doing it, I definitely would not pick up the slack. We'd just be birthday forgetters if it were up to me.

The other carework described in the post can probably not be dispensed with, but I reckon the sexes could meet each other halfway. Men could help out more, and women could lower their standards.

No comments: