Thursday, June 14, 2007

You Can Alter Reality With Your Thoughts. Who Knew?

Money is magnetic energy. You are a magnet attracting to you all things, via the signal you are emitting through your thoughts and feelings. Discover how to become a powerful magnet for the creation of personal wealth. Relationships can be completely transformed, no matter what it's like right now. Learn how to transform every single relationship you have in your life. Concerned about your health? Explore ways to open yourself up and become a powerful magnet to wellness and health starting from wherever you are now.

It turns out, according to these guys who make money talking about “The Secret”, that you can get what you want by thinking about it hard enough. This is more than positive thinking. They reckon that you can alter reality with your thoughts. It’s based on science. They have some quantum physicists on board who will explain it to you for a fee.

I’m a skeptic. If thinking about something a lot and intensely attracts it to you, I would be beating beautiful women off with a stick. I’d also be wealthy beyond anyone’s dreams and would have superpowers and the ability to travel through time. I fantasize about those things constantly. I’m open to having these fantasies come true, but they haven’t. Perhaps you have to attend a seminar or buy the tapes to figure out how to think properly.

Another flaw in the whole scheme is that you can’t really will yourself to believe something. Belief is involuntary. In order to will myself to believe that a gob of money is coming my way, I have to become delusional. I’ll be happy, what with my ship coming in any day now, but eventually I’ll be very disappointed. I bet after a seminar, I’d be pretty enthusiastic, but this would wane. I’d have to go to another seminar to get a fix. Pretty soon, I’d be at seminars and The Secret clubs all the time just to bolster my irrational belief system.

Oh, wait. I forgot. It’s based on science. Once the scientists explain it, I’d believe it wholeheartedly to be sure.

Then the trouble would be that I would have only myself to blame for being a loser. Here I’d be, armed with the knowledge that I could transform reality with my thoughts, and yet I’d still be the same broke ass schmendrick as ever. I must really suck as a human being if I don’t get real rich and real happy real quick.

Why are rich people on average more content with the social and economic order of things? Why are they so damned positive? Is it because of their sunny outlook that they have prospered? Or could it be that they approve of the system because they are thriving in it?

You have got to check out some of the teachers of The Secret. One is described only as a “Visionary”. Another is listed as a “Philosopher” but he’s really a chiropractor and motivational speaker.

No comments: