Monday, April 30, 2007

See "Hot Fuzz"

I was not disappointed in “Hot Fuzz” which I saw Saturday in Hyde Park. Pegg and Wright, the geniuses behind “Shaun of the Dead”, have teamed up to make an homage/parody of the buddy cop genre. Pegg plays Nicholas Angel, a London police officer transferred to a quaint village in Gloucester because he made the other cops look bad due to his skill and efficiency.

Angel is partnered with Danny, an inept constable and son of the local police inspector. Danny is obsessed with American cop movies and has a massive collection of videos. I don’t want to spoil any of the film, so I won’t say more than to trust me, it’s great. This is no campy “Airplane” or “Naked Gun”. The characters play the whole thing straight, and it works in large part because of the juxtaposition of setting and genre. It’s also far from Tarentinoesque in that Pegg and Wright didn’t set out to masturbate to the genre.

No comments: