Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Limbo Closes Shop

The Roman Catholic Church has finally decided to close limbo, or so I have heard from some of my Catholic conspecifics. What are they going to do with all those un-baptized babies and fetuses, including I presume blastocysts miscarried during the subclinical phase of pregnancies? I have heard that the authorities aren’t entirely sure about what happens to them and have kept their options open. I recommend that a form of indulgence be sold to permit the living to buy dead babies and fetuses tickets to heaven. This preserves the hierarchy’s monopoly as gatekeepers of salvation, enriches the organization, and gives comfort to those of the living who can’t abide the idea of an innocent fetus or infant in Hell. Everybody wins.

If fetuses and infants are resurrected at the end of days, will they be resurrected in the state in which they died or will they be endowed with fully matured bodies and minds, albeit lacking any memories? If they are Hell bound, will they be tormented as infants or fetuses or endowed with an even greater capacity for suffering before being cast into the pit? If such potential human beings are raised up as what they might have become, then why wouldn’t everyone be raised up to their potential?

I don’t really know what characteristics a creature must have to count as a person who will be raised at the end of days. It’s not really up to me, of course, and I don’t see what difference my opinion on the matter makes in how I live and treat others. If a grieving mother takes comfort in the idea that she will see her lost child again in the hereafter, it would not be very loving of me to gainsay her.

It seems to me that it’s rarely a good idea to think about the mechanics of supernatural events. My thought processes and imagination are informed by modernity, however, so I find it hard to think about the supernatural and divine in ways that are appropriate to those spheres. Modernistic thinking about these things often leads to some absurd conundrum such as that posed by un-baptized infants and fetuses.

No comments: