Friday, November 10, 2006

Progress Report

It's been two weeks since I pledged to get fit. I have been to the gym 9 times in 14 days and will go this evening as well, God willing. I have lifted weights 6 times and run on a treadmill for 20-30 minutes all 9 times. I plan to move up to three sets on weights this evening, having done two sets each time this past week. I had an evaluation by a trainer and got instruction on the Technogym machines they have at the gym. I enjoy working out, and I already feel better.

I am still motivated by the "God hates fatties" sermon of last month, my doctor's reading me the riot act, and by my realization that it just feels better to be fitter. I have added some other motivations for good measure: (a) I need to be in top condition for the revolution or the cadre will stick me in a desk job or in the mess hall; (b) I fly a lot, and I would be a lot more comfortable if I had more seat than ass; (c) we are going to Jamaica again next June, and I don't want to be mistaken for a beached beluga whale again; and (d) I want to resume horseback riding without being accused of animal cruelty.

The weight loss side of things is not going so well. I keep vacillating between 248 and 250 on the bathroom scale. The scale at the gym where I weigh with my workout clothes on has dropped from 260 to 256. My digestive doctor's scale two and a half weeks ago read 263! I suspect a gravitational anomaly. My regular doctor's scale last weekend read 255.

It's a little frustrating since I have been quite good on my diet, although I haven't resorted to anything extreme. Breakfast is Special K or some a bowl of Colon Bowl high fiber cereal. Lunch is usually a salad, and dinner has been a bowl of Mrs Vache Folle's homemade soup or chowder or other sensible supper. I eschew (rather than chew) desserts, pasta, snacks, fried foods and all good things. Still, I smash the scale. Oddly enough, my clothes feel a little looser. I am considering doing Atkins or Scarsdale for a couple ofweeks to get a jump start.

In the fitness evaluation, which mercifully came up "below average" rather than "moribund", the trainer used a strange device to measure my body fat. It fed a low current into my body and did some stuff some scientist could explain to me and informed me that I was about 40% fat. That means I am carrying over 100 pounds of fat. No wonder I get tired. It's as if I were at a normal weight and walking around with Jasper my 90 pound pit bull strapped to my back.

The good news is, that aside from the wages of gluttony, I am in excellent health, or so says my regular doctor.

3 comments:

August Ecklund said...

You are not losing weight, because you are building muscle while working out and muscle weighs more than fat. The good news is that with more muscle you burn fat faster. Do not worry about your weight; your loose clothes mean you are heading in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

August beat me to it :)

Also, the extra fat you're carrying will help you build muscle faster, assuming that you keep up with the exercise.

Vache Folle said...

august and adem,

Thanks for the encouragement. As luck would have it, the next day the scale registered a 5 pound reduction. That inspired me to work even harder.