Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thinking Blogger Awards

Sunni has honored me with a Thinking Blogger Award. I really am delighted that my scribblings get read by anyone let alone make anyone think. My task is to tag five others who “make me think”. Sunni chose me despite some of our significant differences, and I reckon that the bloggers who make me think the hardest and clearest are the ones who don’t always line up with my point of view 100% and the ones who challenge my incomplete education.

Kevin Carson of the Mutualist Blog was my introduction to left libertarianism and opened my eyes to a libertarian critique of what passes for capitalism. I am a big fan of his writings on “vulgar libertarianism”. I am less than a dilettante when it comes to pro-liberty philosophy and economics, and I find that Kevin makes the issues accessible to me without dumbing them down.

bk marcus of lowercase liberty was probably the first person to read my blog and to comment on it or link to it. Like Kevin, bk is well versed in pro-freedom philosophy and economics; however, he is more aligned with the anarcho-capitalist camp. He is far from a “vulgar” libertarian, though. He named a fallacy after me one time.

Steve Scott of From the Pew is a fellow Christian layman who takes on a lot of the theological issues that I think about. He seems to know what he is talking about, and he has been a great inspiration to me. He has also challenged me to think through the issues in ways that never occurred to me before.

James Leroy Wilson of Independent Country is a must read for me. I don’t always agree with him, but he makes thought provoking arguments for his positions that often make me question my own assumptions.

Wm N. Grigg of Pro Libertate is indispensable. I started reading his work when he was still with the John Birch Society, and I confess that he turned a lot of my preconceptions about Birchers on their head. Then the wankers dismissed him for his views. That freed him to write as he pleases, and we all benefit. His essays are always thoughtful and thought provoking.

Some of these blogs are among my favorites; others are not. As I understand it, this award is not about favorites but about what gets the gears turning in your head. I could name way more than five, but the rules of the meme (talk to Sunni) forbid it. Take all of JL Wilson’s blogroll, and you find any better collection of ideas.

3 comments:

Kevin Carson said...

Thanks a lot for the kind words. You've got me in some good company.

Jim Fedako said...

Can't speak for all of these, but BK Markus and Steve Scott have great pages full of insights.

Steve Scott said...

Thanks for the compliment. If you only knew how much I think. I drink beer to numb the ol' gray matter so I can get to sleep.