Friday, July 20, 2007

Congress Needs to Get Off Its Ass!

JL Wilson urges Congress to do its damned job. He wants them to read the bills they vote for, and I agree that this is not too much to ask.

For my part, I am pissed at Congress because it is not doing the important things that I think it should be doing. I even wrote my Congresscritter, John Hall, something I have never done before. I’m not pissed that Congress isn’t pumping out legislation at a record rate. I’m pissed that they are working on anything at all until they deal with three big issues: ending the Iraq War, impeaching Bush and Cheney, and conducting real oversight. The third item can’t be done until Congress starts holding the administration in contempt for invoking executive privilege over everything.

Harry Reid shouldn’t let any legislation be considered until the Senate votes on withdrawal from Iraq. I would even support getting rid of the filibuster by exercising the “nuclear option” that the GOP held over the Democrats’ heads back when they were in charge. Don’t consider any appropriations or any bills at all until Iraq is dealt with. I don’t care if the government shuts down because of it. The American people will know whom to blame. Make the warmongers stand up and be counted every day. Keep it up as long as necessary. It’s that important.

The House should do the same thing except that it should continue its investigations and oversight work and hold impeachment hearings until Articles of Impeachment can be issued (in which case I would forgive the Senate for stopping to have a trial). Since the US Attorney in DC is a political hack who hates America and won’t prosecute Congressional contempt actions, the House should try administration officials for contempt on the House floor under it own inherent power. Unitary executive my ass! Act like you have a pair (or 435 pairs) and stand up for Congressional prerogatives before the President becomes Emperor and makes Barney a Senator.

This is a freaking emergency situation, Congress. Get to work. The American people will applaud you if you take care of this important business.

No comments: