Friday, July 20, 2007

Dating Advice to My 14 Year Old Self

If I could go back in time and give advice to the 14 year old Vache Folle about females, here’s what I would tell him/me.

Listen to your future self. I know you know everything, but I’m you and know everything you know now plus 35 years worth of stuff. Pay heed to these warnings and suggestions.

Don’t waste any time chasing tail. Tail will chase you. Trust me. It’s chasing you right now and you don’t even know it.

Don’t bother with a steady girlfriend until you are much older. It will be way better to play the field and keep your options open. That way, you won’t let the existence of girlfriends influence your other decisions in life. Any steady girlfriends you have for the next few years are going to dump you eventually right when you are most attached and vulnerable and when you least expect it, so do yourself a favor and date around and have fun. It’s way more fun to play the field, and you shouldn’t have to wait seven years to figure that out like I did.

Don’t waste any time on girls who aren’t interested in you or who already have boyfriends. Sure, be “friends” with them, but don’t think that your girl friends will ever become your girlfriends. The best you can hope for is to negotiate some kind of “friend with benefits” deal, and I’ll tell you in private which girls are most likely to go along with such an idea. Besides, there are plenty of attractive and amiable girls who are interested in you, and all you have to do is get your head out of your ass and take notice.

Don’t be afraid to ask girls out on dates. The worst thing that can happen is that they turn you down. It’s no big deal, and you shouldn’t let fear of rejection keep you dateless. Saturday night all night Risk playing parties with your other dateless friends will get old very quickly. I’m not saying that you never want to play Risk with the guys, but it will be nice to have other options.

Until you can drive, don’t bother with dating per se (unless your date can drive). Just hang out in co-educational settings and have fun. Church activities are great for meeting and hanging out with girls. Dating is actually pretty awkward and is not nearly as much fun as you might think, especially if there is not much chance of a happy ending. If you ask some of the girls to accompany you on your bike rides or hikes, they will be happy to go.

Know your Bible. There are plausible arguments to be made that certain activities are not actually “sex” and that they do not fall under Biblical prohibitions on fornication and what not. Girls will readily accept your exposition if it is backed up with some verses that you have memorized.

Take some dancing lessons. Your “freestyle” dancing moves are ridiculous, and lots of opportunities for interaction involve dancing. If you can dance, your comfort level will go way up, and you won’t look like such an idiot.

Take guitar lessons. Chicks dig guitar players.

Don’t get too attached to any of the local girls. You are going to blow this town as soon as you can after high school, and you are never going to look back.

You are going to be way more attractive to girls when you get to college than you ever will be in high school. The guys who are popular now for being football players are going to marry their steady girlfriends and work in carpet factories. Do not envy them. These are the best years of their lives. Yours are yet to come. Besides, if a girl is impressed by a guy’s being a football player, she’s not your type. You don’t want to waste any time with girls that you aren’t actually going to like as human beings.

When Bonny what’s her name tries to help you remove your rappelling harness at Cloudland Canyon, let her.

Almost nothing that happens in the next four years is going to matter as long as you don’t get yourself killed or maimed or convicted of a felony. Once you turn 18 and head off to college, everything is a do over.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude this is so helpful! I was in 8th grade when i got my first girlfriend and she dumped me in 3 days. We never talked durin that period either. So after that I tried to look at the big picture and tried to realize what relationships are missing and this solved another part of the imformation i was missing. I know right now I sound weird but u have no idea how much you helped.-LilMan

ignored4life said...

hey i cant tell u my name but 1 thing ...this is my story

1yr after i came to canada, i liked a girl(asian)dunno whether she liked me or not but after she found out as ppl told her she started to abuse me with the rest of the school. everywair i went, even when i was going home they abused me as if ima piece of shit or something. next yr i like another girl but this time was "TRUE LOVE AT FIRST SITE" THOSE BEAUTIFUL EYES, I JUST CANT EXPLAIN HOW SHE LOOKED BUT IT WAS LIKE SHE WAS AN ANGEL, ANY1 COULD FALL IN LOVE WITH HER. FIRST SHE WAS IN MY CLASS WE USE TO SIT BESIDE EACH OTHER FOR 3 SUBJECTS WE SOMETIMES USE TO JOKE AROUND, SHE ASKED ME FOR SOME AWNSERS I GAVE THEM I ASKED HER SOMETHING SHE GAVE ME SO TOO BUT I DIDNT UNDERTAND WHETHER SHE LIKED ME OR DID SHE JUST DO IT USE ME, NOW THIS MAY SOUND WEIRD TO U BUT, 1 day we all played some stupid ass game in class, wair u have to hoLd hands and try to get out to make a perfect circle. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I WAS ASKED TO HOLD A GIRLS HAND AD IT WAS HER, THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, THE MOMENT I HOLDED HER HAND, I JUST, I JUST FELT LIKE LAUGHING OR SMILING WITH JOY CUZ THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I WAS HOLDING A GIRL'S HAND. AS I SMILED SHE SMILED BACK AT ME BY LOOKING AT ME, DUNNO WHETHER SHE KNEW THAT I LIKE HER BUT HER HANDS WERE SO SOFT I FELT LIKE HOLDING HER HANDS 4 EVER! BUT I KNEW I'D NEVER GET TO DATE HER CUZ I NEVER HAD ANY COURAGE TO ASK HER AND DATING WAS OT EVEN CLOSE. I KNEW THERE WOULD BE A DAY WHEN SHE WOULD START DATING CUZ BUY THE TIME SHE CAME IN 1 WEEK SHE THE MOST POPULAR GIRL IN GRADE 8. SHE STARTED TO DATE A GUY NAMED JAMES. THE DAY I FOUND OUT THAT SHE WAS DATING HER I DIDT EAT FOR 3 DAYZ STRAIGHT. I CUT MY SELF ALL OVER MY HANDS MY CHEST MY BACK, U MIGHT THINK THAT IM SOME EMO OR A LOSER BUT THIS IS WAT TRUE LOVE DID TO ME. THIS WAS A GIRL THAT I DIDNT WANT TO LOOSE . NOW WERE IN HIGHSCHOOL , I DUNNO WHETHER JAMES IS HER BOYFRIEND, BUT WHEN I CAME TO CANADA I WAS CHEERFUL AND ENTHUSIATIC BUT NOW IVE STOPPED LAUGHING I DONT HAVE ANY HAPPINESS IN MY LIFE, MY PARENTS ASK ME WATS HAPPENED TO U BUT THEY EVEN DONT KNOW WAT GOING THROUGH ME, TELLING BROWN FOLKS THAT U LIKE SOME1 THEY WOULD PROBABLY BEAT ME TO DEATH SAYIG "...OO U CANT LIKE SOME1 ITS AGAINST OUR BIBLE, WE'RE GOING FIX UP URE MARRIAGE URE ARNT GOING TO LOVE IN THIS AGE..." RITE NOW I FEEL LIKE CRYING AND SUCIDING BUT ITS LIKE I DONT KNOW WAT TO DO , I CANT EVEN THINK PROPERLY. MY MARKS HAVE DROPPED, MY PARENTS ARE PROBABLY HAVING LOT OF HAPPINESS IN THIER LIFE BUT FOR ME THE ONLY HAPPINESS IS WHEN I GET HOOKED UP WITH THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, MAN I NEED URE HELP SO BAD I CAN DO ANYTHING FOR HER. SO I HOPE U UNDERSTAND... REPLEY ME PERSONALLY AT IGNORED4LIFE@HOTMAIL.COM

Anonymous said...

Great.... it's a perfect advice. Too have joined Date.com & got free 3-day gold membership.

Anonymous said...

hey I'm a thirteen year old girl. I know it's weird that I'm reading something ment for guys but I like someone and I know he likes me too and have always wondered what guys think about dating at a young age.
I thought this was really interesting but when I read the part about girls dumping guys when they are most attatched was wrong. Me and all my friends only wish for a person we can be with forever. We like to be held and gave attention and are always afraid of guys getting interested in other girls and dumping you because they are tired of the same thing. We just want something real that will last forever.
I was also interested in the part about the girl really likeing football players and people that play the guitar. I personally don't like guys because I think they'll be rich and famous someday but because it shows that he doesn't waste his time playing video games at home or doing nothing. It proves that he likes to get out, try something new and is always up for some fun.
Girls also like smart guys too. It shows that he's serious about his future and knows just how important an education is.
Oh and also I really liked the part of the article encourging guys to just ask the girl out. When a girl is interested in someone she is usually very impatient about the guy asking for her number or asking her out. If we don't hear from you for a while we'll just try to get over you and move on. The worst that can happen is a no so why should you worry about it so much. As much as a girl likes you she's not going to make the first move. Grow some damn balls and ask her out!

Cameron Sharpe said...

When dating, it should be your decision to meet or not to meet somebody. If you don't feel comfortable to meet somebody, it should be your decision. In traditional dating, you may feel a sense of pressure when someone asks you to meet a particular person. In online dating to take a decision on saying yes or no is very easy. Plus you can email back and forth until you do feel comfortable meeting that person. If they like you also, they will want you to feel comfortable. After all, if they have emailed you a number of times, they have invested time in