Friday, September 08, 2006

I Hear Horse Meat is Delicious

Since Air America changed frequencies, I can’t pick it up in my car any longer, so I am stuck with NPR. This morning I learned that Congress is working to outlaw the slaughter of horses for human consumption. This is because horses are special. They are our friends and the trusty companions of cowboys, and they should never be used as food. Glue, maybe, but never food. It’s disgusting to some Congressvarmints to contemplate someone’s eating horseflesh.

Why stop there? What about lagomorphs? Lagomorphs are cute and cuddly. The Easter Bunny is a lagomorph. Should people be allowed to eat such adorable creatures? Heaven forfend!

Seriously, though, is this really what we want Congress to concern itself with? Does what I do with my equine property fall within the enumerated powers of the federal government, for crying out loud? If enough Congressvarmints are disgusted by someone’s eating something, is that really a sound basis for outlawing the consumption of that food item? If it is considered disgusting by most people, it is not apt to be eaten all that often in any event, and the force of social disapproval should be enough to deter a lot of folks from publicly eating the forbidden food.

As if any of us should gave a rat’s patootie about what other folks eat. I wouldn’t eat a house cat, but I wouldn’t intervene if my neighbor wanted to eat hers. I don’t eat dogs, but if you have a taste for things canine, I am not going to try and stop you (just keep your mitts off my dogs).

I have a list of animals I won’t eat for one reason or another. I don’t eat any of my fellow primates. Ceteceans and other sea going mammals are off limits. No carnivores will ever be on the menu in the Folle house. These are my preferences, and I reckon they are pretty good and ought to be adopted by everyone else. However, I would never use force to foist these preferences on anyone else.

Maybe horse meat needs another name, just as cow meat is known as beef and sheep meat is known as mutton. If I order a piece of cow or pig parts in a restaurant, I get funny looks. Let's call horse meat "cheef" or some such thing.

3 comments:

lemme howdt said...

we can call the horse meat whinney. around home, we were tempted to eat rosie when he passed on this summer, but couldn't bring ourselves to do it, even if he was a 14 ft snake - nearly 75 lbs of good meat. instead we got half an organic cow.

jomama said...

Yup, Congresscritters are all about distractions. Shhh..about The Fall.

If ya wanna hump goats, go to it, as long as you hump your own goats.

Ate some horse meat once. Flavorful but tough as a leper's shoe. Shoulda been a young pony I suspect.

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning this matter. Thanks for giving this material.
Joan Stepsen
Cyprus girls