Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Attitude Adjustment

This morning I realized that I have been mourning the passing of summer and lamenting the arrival of autumn. Every flaming red leaf has been an affront. But summer ends and fall begins whether I like it or not. No amount of mourning or lamenting will change this fact. So I ought to embrace autumn and celebrate its charms instead of contrasting them with those of summer. For the first time this morning, I noticed how beautiful the foliage is and reckoned myself lucky to live in the place to which city dwellers drive to see the colorful fall leaves. Poison ivy is especially beautiful, the brightest red imaginable, and one of the early turners. The maples are promising as well.

Now if I could just figure out a way to make raking seem like fun. Or dredging leaves out of the pond.

1 comment:

Steve Scott said...

Git yur nephews over and have them rake 'em up into a pile. Call that the goal line and a dive into the pile is a touchdown. Have them toss the leaves into the can and send 'em home.

Our CA autumn is about a month behind you in the NE. Our maple will turn a brilliant red next month. I love the Indian summers as the days grow shorter, the shadows longer and the mornings chillier. I used to mourn the passing of summer, but for some reason in my old age I find autumn my favorite season.