Friday, July 24, 2009

Arresting Prof Gates Was Stupid Even If It Wasn't Racial

Here's my two cents on the Henry Louis Gates arrest. It was stupid. Maybe it wasn't racial, but it was stupid. The policeman had plenty of options other than arresting the man. Cops are too damned quick to arrest people, often for no good reason other than to be douches. There was an insufficient basis for believing that a crime was being committed, and nobody was in any danger.

If I'm in my own home where I have every right to be and I end up arrested for being uppity to a cop, you can bet I'd be pretty pissed. I'd be justified. And my neighbors would back me up. Everyone would agree that the cop was stupid. It's incompetent policing, and it should be denounced.

Police treat civilians like enemenis in occupied territory, and this should not be tolerated.

1 comment:

Steve Scott said...

But the cop was just doing his job.