Monday, August 20, 2007

Topsy Turvy

For the past few years my life has rested on three pillars: my unhappy (as it turns out) marriage, my soul-destroying job, and my money pit of a home and garden. Now everything is turned upside down. Mrs Vache Folle left me and went to live with her mother. I am about to be jobless thanks to a divestiture. In either case, divorce or unemployment, I won’t be able to keep the house and garden. There is a remote possibility that Mrs Vache Folle will have a change of heart and that I will be able to transfer to another entity within the conglomerate, but I can’t really hold out much hope, and these contingencies are completely out of my hands. It sucks that all this is happening when the real estate market is in the crapper. If we could have held out until an upturn…

Anyhoo, the getting left by the Mrs part just happened yesterday, and I am still reeling from it. I got through denial, anger, and bargaining all within a few hours thanks to half a bottle of single malt. Now I’m way into depression and starting to think about what to do. The soon to be former Mrs Vache Folle is more sensible about a lot of what must be done, but she’s not making any suggestions right now.

I am a very lazy person, so all these changes and the effort that they entail are unwelcome to say the least. Moreover, the prospect of starting over on my own somewhere without my companion of 23 plus years makes me anxious. Perhaps at some point it will seem exciting, and I will be able to embrace the opportunities that I face. Who knows what kind of future I might have? Maybe I’ll drift from town to town solving problems and mysteries. Maybe I’ll end up a hermit in the backwoods and write a bizarre manifesto. Maybe I’ll be a hobo. The possibilities are endless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your troubles.I have been through the same situations but now am able to look back and see that compared to then my life is so much better.You will be sad dor a good while but then you will find new opportunities.All the best to you and I hope you keep blogging.

Anonymous said...

As an occasional, yet admiring reader of your blog, I wish for your renewed success in all spheres. As a man married, tempestuously, for 29 years, I suggest you take great stock in your failing marriage, swallow all pride, and attempt an honest reconciliation. The other trials will fall by the wayside with your best friend at your side. Best wishes. J.E.A.

Steve Scott said...

VF, I'm truly sorry for your situation. Prayers are with you. Maybe you can pursue her again as in days of old. All the best...

GGI said...

I really hope things get better for You. You're one of the best bloggers around and it's a sad coincidence that two of my favourite Christian bloggers (William Grigg beig the other) are suffering such problems. All the best,
Jedrzej Kuskowski