Friday, August 03, 2007

Libertarians Caused the Bridge to Collapse

Auguste at Pandagon takes the tragic bridge collapse in Minnesota and uses it to bash “libertarians”.

This comment sums up my feelings about it nicely:

“Great thread.

Government bridge falls down.

What do? Make fun of Libertarians.

Liberal logic - Ho Ho Ho.

I am disappointed though. I thought for surethis was Bush’s fault. Or is that tomorrow’sstory? “

It’s frustrating dealing with these kinds of arguments. If I point out that a massive federal “investment” in infrastructure is apt to become a politicized boondoggle, I get accused of being against roads and bridges. I’m not. I like roads and bridges. I just don’t like the way they are organized and financed. And I don’t think more central planning is the answer.

Of course, it can be fun to run with the idea that I am anti-road and anti-bridge and to point out the benefits of a roadless and bridgeless world: no more roadkill; no more highway fatalities; no more traffic jams; no more highway noise; less pollution; no parking problems. How would we get around? We’d walk or ride horses or mountain bikes or ATVs. Duh! How would we get major appliances delivered? The same way the blue stones were delivered to Stonehenge. Do I have to solve everything for you?

No comments: