Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Airline Business Idea

I heard that Airbus floated the idea of standing room flights where passengers would be basically strapped to a board while standing. Presumably, this would be for relatively short flights only.

What a great idea. I would take it even further and have flights where passengers are stuffed into coffin-like boxes and stacked from floor to ceiling. You would be sedated when you boarded and would be unconscious for the flight. There would be no need for meals or beverages or entertainment, and you could get as many as five times the number of passengers on a single flight as you could with seated passengers. To make it even more convenient, passengers could be stimulated back to consciousness in the baggage claim area.

This scenario would be infinitely preferable to air travel as it is now. I can’t tell you how many times I have been so uncomfortable flying that I envied the dead. The seats aren’t big enough, and if the passenger in front of you reclines the seat you can’t use your tray table. Fortunately, I am usually able to fall asleep, especially if I can throw back a couple of cocktails. My plan would eliminate the discomfort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is surely a hilarious idea for passenger flight arrangements, likewise your cynical take on the matter is equally funny. There's really no telling what airlines would set themselves about these days!

The reason I laugh is due to my close acquaintance with hundreds of corporate travellers whom, much like yourself would welcome flight sedation as a merciful alternative!