Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Tolerance of Intolerance

Last night, I was waiting in the truck outside our veterinarian's offices for Mrs Vache Folle and Jasper, who had been bitten by something, possibly a water snake, and was running through the radio stations for something interesting. Air America doesn't kick in until about 5 miles south of where I live, and the talk radio we get is either religious or of the wingnut variety. I chanced on a program that seemed to be a bit of both and heard one speaker say of those who preach tolerance that "their tolerance is our silence". The "our" referred to people of faith who also have illiberal views about homosexuality, women's roles, and other matters. I have heard this complaint often from folks who espouse illiberal views- if you are so tolerant, why don't you tolerate my intolerance?

Is it consistent for the tolerant to be intolerant of the intolerant? In my view, there is no inconsistency as long as you are not advocating or engaging in coercion to impose your views on others. For example, the religious right wants to discriminate against homosexuals, some even to the point of legislating against homosexual behavior. Many of those tolerant of homosexuality want homosexuals to have the freedom to pursue happiness and engage in homosexual behaviors all they want, some even to the point of legislating against some forms of discrimination against homosexuals. Both the homosexuals and those who hate them are rightly and understandably opposed to the application of coercion against them.

But this is not what my illiberal conspecifics seem to be whining about. They are unhappy that their illiberal views have become unpopular. In the marketplace of ideas, homosexual bashing is becoming marginalized, even stigmatized in some quarters. It is not enough for them that their right to hold these illiberal views and to express them has been preserved and is not, as far as I can tell, endangered; rather, they want these views to be respected and not to feel embarrassed about them in polite society.

I recognize your right to be homosexual and live a homosexual lifestyle and your right to hate homosexuals or homosexuality and express this hatred. I tolerate both views to this extent, but I am intolerant of any coercion in furtherance of either view. I also happen to disagree with the haters of homosexuals and do not hold their views in high esteem. They seem more than a little weird to me, to be frank. Then again, I am attracted to libertarianism in part because of my preference for privacy and my feeling that folks should mind their own business. It's hard to imagine a libertarian busybody.

Libertarians embrace the free market, and I think that this includes a free market in ideas. Ideas compete in this market and are not equally valued. Everyone runs the risk that his views will become unpopular or even taboo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came accross the term "how to clean a central air conditioner unit" the other day and I did not know what it was. When I search for it I found your site. Thought you might find that interesting :)