Tuesday, August 02, 2005

NRA Hypocrisy

Tbogg http://tbogg.blogspot.com/2005/08/what-if-i-have-to-file-grievance-if.html points out that the NRA is calling for a boycott of ConocoPhillips. It seems that CP opposes a proposed Oklahoma law that would compel business owners to permit employees to keep firearms in their vehicles on company property. CP has a general rule against firearms in the workplace. The NRA claims that CP is taking away its employees' Second Amendment rights.

Last time I looked, the Second Amendment limited the actions of the government with respect to keeping and bearing arms, not private individuals or companies. I don't let armed strangers in my house. I am not, however, violating anyone's Second Amendment rights; rather, I am exercising my own rights as a property owner. Unless I hold you in slavery (13th Amendment), I cannot otherwise violate your Constitutional Rights. Only government can do that.

Although Tbogg cites workplace gun violence as a good rationale for CP's policy, I would argue that CP's property rights include the right to exclude firearms from the premises and that no rationale is wanted. What the NRA is doing in Oklahoma is attacking private property rights by supporting a law to force property owners to allow firearms on their property against their will.

What hypocrites to cry about Second Amendment Rights while trying to get the state to reduce the rights of property owners.

CORRECTION: CP is challenging an existing Oklahoma law in court. The NRA is calling for a boycott of CP for challenging the law.

No comments: