Monday, April 21, 2008

No News is Good News for My Mood

I have been feeling terrific lately and in a better mood than ever. Perhaps this is due to my recent relaxing vacation and the arrival of Spring. I suspect that it's due in large part to my not having paid any attention at all to what is happening in the world for several weeks. It started with vacation, and I just kept being uninformed. No TV news, no newspapers, no newsie blogs, no topical conversations. Just blissful unawareness of current events.

Being uninformed makes me less misanthropic since I don't have daily reminders of how monstrous my species really is. It makes me less depressed since I don't have to think about alll the suffering and injustice in the world. If it isn't happening on Hosner Mountain or wherever I happen to be at the moment, I don't know about it. And if I don't know about it, I can't worry about it.

I want to figure out a way to be informed without getting depressed or pissed off. I'm thinking of embracing fatalism more wholeheartedly. "Whaddyagonnadew" will be my new mantra.

No comments: