Thursday, October 18, 2007

I'm Probably a Goat

Iceberg has been reading Dante and was inspired to share some views about how God will judge us:

“In other words, God is so fair with us, that not only will he not judge us by what he expected from us, but rather according to the very same standards of justice that we ourselves judged to be correct. This is not to say that if one chooses to disobey God that there are no damaging consequences, only that God won't hold one guilty for acting according to the maxims that he or she believed to be universally true.”

I’m screwed. I believe that I must love God with all my faculties and love my neighbor as myself. Yet, aside from taxpaying and some charitable giving, I feed no hungry, clothe no naked, and visit no imprisoned. I live pretty much just like anyone else, just like folks who don’t believe in those principles. An objective observer would be hard pressed to tell what my basic moral principles are based on my actions. I go to work, I come home, I putter in the garden, I work out at the gym, I sing in the choir, I play with my dogs, I read. I don’t do any harm, but I don’t do any real good either. I am a hypocrite.

Although I am feeling guilty about this, I doubt that I will do anything to change. Guilt has never served that function for me. Perhaps I should adjust my values to fit my actions. Mrs Vache Folle reckons that Homer Simpson is a good role model for me to emulate. He has never regretted anything he has ever done (or not done).

No comments: